Learning Fun for Kids Online

Home school and after school, kids online can access some great sites and games that are both educational and fun. This site reviews and links to the best, and also discusses some parenting articles and homework sites of interest to parents.

Friday, February 20, 2009

Babysitting Tips

Like everything else these days, babysitting's changed since I was a kid. Little girls are getting a minimum of $8/hour (*GASP*) for watching the kids. That's a far cry from when I happily sat for 50 CENTS an hour.

The Red Cross has some good pages about babysitting. The first one is called Tips for Having a Safe Babysitting Experience. This deals with how to get babysitting jobs and has an incredibly detailed interview form with questions to ask the family your child is sitting for. (No wonder kids make $8!)

The second is actually an Activity E-book in PDF format. At first glance, most of it seems pretty inane (like roll the ball with baby), but that may be because I'm a parent. Maybe 13 year-old girls without toddlers in the house need explicit guidance like this. There was a Cross The River game that looked like it could be fun on a rainy day (kids cut out paper circles and tape them to the floor; pretend they're crossing a river).

The e-book also contains easy snack ideas and nursery rhymes (which I know for sure we all forget -- I had to rush out and buy a few copies when my kids were born!)

My 12 year old daughter recently took a babysitting course with a friend of hers, and the kids enjoyed themselves very much. Her first experience in sitting was when a couple was giving a dinner party and wanted their 5-year old daughter entertained and taken care of -- a very nice introduction to the world of babysitting!





categories

Labels:

Bookmark and Share
posted by Stephanie @ Friday, February 20, 2009  

2 Comments:

  • At 9:58 AM, Blogger Carrie said…

    I love your site! I hope you don't mind, but I linked to it on my blog LEAP :)

    www.leap-learnexploreandplay.blogspot.com

     
  • At 5:31 PM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    Thanks for visiting! Your post called What Is Eaten in One Week is great. If you ever find out where it originated, please let me know so I can link there too.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home